An Exciting Year to Come
I am so grateful to be a part of the Rio Grande Farm Park once again! Some of you will remember me as the AmeriCorps VISTA that served from 2016-2017. I have such fond memories of that time and learned so much from working with the Farm Park. I was very happy to return recently as the Transition Manager to lead the Farm Park through Julie’s retirement.
Though I haven’t been around for most of 2019, I wanted to take some time to reflect on what we’ve accomplished in the past year thanks to the support of our staff, volunteers, farmers, and donors. Leaving the Farm Park for two years and returning was a great way to see how much we have grown. Thank you all for supporting us to make this program successful! Here is a summary of our accomplishments in 2019:
- Built a BEAUTIFUL Nature Play Area
- Added a secure fence that will help our farmers by limiting pests and vandalism
- Completed new drip irrigation that will ensure water gets to where it needs to go
As we look forward to the new year, we are entering a time of change and excitement. Our fearless leader of five years, Julie Mordecai, will be retiring soon. She has brought so much energy and passion to this project and will be missed dearly. Thanks to the work Julie has done and the partnerships she has put in place, we have some exciting things coming up in 2020:
- We will be building an on-site farm stand so our farmers can sell their produce on weekdays and so that our community has access to fresh local food 6 days a week!
- The Farm Park is starting new food bank partnerships and will be paying farmers to work with local food banks and provide them with fresh produce
- Our AmeriCorps members Meg and Hannah are hard at work developing user-friendly Environmental Education curriculum that will connect students to the Farm Park
- We have a goal to finish fundraising for our new greenhouse and move forward on building and design plans
- We will be revitalizing our monthly volunteer workdays and offering a new opportunity for volunteers to adopt a project on the farm
Thank you all for taking part in this amazing program. I am grateful for each of your contributions to the Park and hope that you will stay connected in the coming year. Follow us on social media, sign up for our emails, or stop into the Local Foods Coalition office to say Hello!
Wishing you a Happy Holiday season!