Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resumé to Rio Grande Farm Park Director, Seth Armentrout, at firstname.lastname@example.org specifying which position they wish to apply for. Questions about the positions are welcome. Positions are open until filled, with an ideal start date in March 2023.
Each position will range from 32-40 hours per week.
The Rio Grande Farm Park’s mission is to create and sustain a vibrant place where people come to learn, play, and grow. The Farm Park maintains 15 arable acres for farmers to grow food regeneratively, while the whole 38 acres provides youth and community education, robust volunteer programs, and a public park and orchard. While we strive to serve everyone, particular focus is placed on high school youth and families in Alamosa and populations that seek farming opportunities but lack access to land, water, and capital.
Education Assistant Member
The Rio Grande Farm Park seeks a passionate, community-oriented Education Assistant AmeriCorps member to help implement educational programming in 2023. The primary focus will be to implement 2023 Rising Stewards, a summer working and learning experience for high school youth. This member will assist with farmer educational events and community educational events that will occur at the Rio Grande Farm Park. There will be many opportunities to get to know community members and share their knowledge related to regenerative agriculture. In addition, this member will help the Farm Park with multimedia education opportunities and passive education opportunities, such as video and social media. Last, this person will participate in creating a long-term vision and curriculum around RGFP educational programming and support the ecosystem of environmental education in the San Luis Valley.
AmeriCorps Member Duties
● Lead the implementation both on the land and in the classroom for the RGFP cornerstone summer high school program: Rising Stewards.
● Assist in the planning of Rising Stewards during the springtime and storytelling and reporting in fall
● Facilitate for logistics such as camping, food, and recreational activities.
● Assist with youth-related activities at the Farm Park or elsewhere in the San Luis Valley with Generation Wild partner organizations
● Assist with planning and execution of farmer education workshops and community educational events and farm tours.
● Assist with passive and multimedia educational opportunities at the Farm Park, including social media.
● Participate with the weekly Mercadillo farmers’ market during the growing season
● Integrate educational opportunities into projects occurring at the Farm Park throughout their service.
● Participate in strategic planning related to Education at the Rio Grande Farm Park.
Skills and Qualifications
● Ability to work with a team and take initiative independently
● Strong knowledge or interested in regenerative agriculture, conservation, and land stewardship (water, wildlife, gardening, soil health, etc)
● Youth development or educational experience a plus
● All levels of education welcome to apply
● Social media, communications, graphic design, outreach skills all a plus
● Community organizing experience a plus
● Some proficiency in Spanish OR strong interest in learning preferred
Farm Assistant Member
The Rio Grande Farm Park seeks a curious, hard-working Farm Assistant AmeriCorps Member to support activities on a 38 acre community farm in Alamosa, Colorado. The Farm Assistant AmeriCorps Member will assist with land-based work, lead volunteer programs, and have opportunities to hone in on projects and programs based on their interests. This person will learn the ins-and-outs of growing produce in an arid climate, from water management to soil health. In addition the Farm Assistant will become a leader for volunteer projects, integrating community groups and students into meaningful and creative projects. The Farm Assistant will work closely with the Farm Manager and Director to practice regenerative agriculture and create a vibrant community space. This member will serve 20-25 hours per week in the off-season and 40 hours per week during growing season (April – October).
AmeriCorps Member Duties
● Lead monthly Saturday volunteer workdays, including helping identify projects, planning and promoting events, and recording volunteer data
● Assist with irrigation, including flood irrigation, drip line maintenance, and ditch maintenance
● Assist with vegetable production, from seeding to weeding to harvesting
● Assist commercial farmers and family farmers as appropriate
● Assist with animals (in the event we have animals), which may include chickens or goats
● Assist with the weekly Mercadillo during the growing season including planning, vendor orientation, site management, and data collection
● Assist with land health activities such as cover cropping, tree care, and noxious weed control
● Assist with landscaping projects in community areas
● Assist with commercial production of produce and maintenance in year-round greenhouse
● Help integrate meaningful and creative volunteer opportunities into needed tasks at the Farm Park, and work with community groups to plan events and accomplish these tasks
● As needed, create social media and newsletter content
● According to interests and skills, consider needs of Farm Park and creative solutions to problems
Skills and Qualifications
● Experience or interest in agriculture, environment, or conservation preferred
● Ability to work as part of team and independently
● Gardening, landscaping, animal husbandry experience a plus but not required
● Some proficiency with Spanish and/or a strong desire to learn preferred
AmeriCorps Membership Details (Both Positions)
This material is based upon work supported by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) under Grant No. 18AFHCO0010002. Opinions or points of view expressed in this document are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official position of, or a position that is endorsed by, CNCS or Serve CO.
Mountain Roots Healthy Futures AmeriCorps Program
PO Box 323 Gunnison, CO 81230 | 970-648-0460
Healthy Futures AmeriCorps Program Benefits
● AmeriCorps Member(s) will receive biweekly living allowance payments, totals dependent on term
● Eligible AmeriCorps Members can receive healthcare benefits and child care assistance.
● All AmeriCorps Members can receive an Education Award upon successful completion of service, professional development and training, covered travel costs for attendance at statewide AmeriCorps Member conference, and qualify for Federal Assistance programs and student loan forbearance.
□ Car recommended (but we will offer bike support if member does not own car)
□ Permits attendance at school during off hours
□ Permits working at another job during off hours